You are hereAAA OBSERVING AT GREAT KILLS, STATEN ISLAND
AAA OBSERVING AT GREAT KILLS, STATEN ISLAND
One Saturday each month (except in winter), the Staten Island Chapter of the AAA hosts public stargazing in Gateway Great Kills National Park, off Hylan Boulevard on the south shore of Staten Island.
NOTE: For environmental reasons, the observing site has changed! Read the modified directions to and see the detail map of Great Kills Park below.
Chair: Joe DiNapoli
(Sessions End at 11 PM)
By car from Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, or Queens:
- Take the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge (1 on Staten Island map) to Staten Island.
- Follow signs to Hylan Boulevard south and proceed approximately 5.5 miles (yellow on Staten Island map), past New Dorp.
- After a wide curve in the road, Buffalo Street, the entrance for Great Kills National Seashore (marked as "Entrance" on Detail Map) will be on your left.
- Turn into the park and proceed about 0.9 miles (follow the red line on Detail Map) . Turn left to the area marked as "New Site" on Detail Map.
By bus or subway:
- From Brooklyn, take the Broadway Local (R) train to 86th Street, and transfer to the #79 bus, which stops at the park entrance (marked as "Entrance" on Detail Map).
- From Manhattan, the Staten Island Ferry connects to the #78 bus, which stops at the park entrance (marked as "Entrance" on Detail Map).
- Walk into the park and proceed about 0.9 miles (follow the red line on Detail Map) . Turn left to the area marked as "New Site" on Detail Map.
NOTE: People wishing to observe at Great Kills at other times must obtain a permit for their car for $50 from the National Park Service.
Staten Island Map