One Saturday each month (except in winter), the Staten Island Chapter of the AAA hosts public stargazing in Gateway Great Kills National Park, off Hylan Boulevard on the south shore of Staten Island.
Directions to the location and a map of the site are given below.
Chair: Joe DiNapoli
(note: all sessions end at 11 PM)
By car from Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, or Queens:
- Take the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge (1 on Staten Island map) to Staten Island.
- Follow signs to Hylan Boulevard south and proceed approximately 5.5 miles (yellow on Staten Island map), past New Dorp.
- After a wide curve in the road, Buffalo Street, the entrance for Great Kills National Seashore (marked as “Entrance” on Detail Map) will be on your left.
- Turn into the park and proceed about 0.9 miles (follow the red line on Detail Map) . Turn left to the area marked as “New Site” on Detail Map.
By bus or subway:
- From Brooklyn, take the Broadway Local (R) train to 86th Street, and transfer to the #79 bus, which stops at the park entrance (marked as “Entrance” on Detail Map).
- From Manhattan, the Staten Island Ferry connects to the #78 bus, which stops at the park entrance (marked as “Entrance” on Detail Map).
- Walk into the park and proceed about 0.9 miles (follow the red line on Detail Map) . Turn left to the area marked as “New Site” on Detail Map.
NOTE: People wishing to observe at Great Kills at other times must obtain a permit for their car for $50 from the National Park Service.
Staten Island Map
Cancellations due to weather will be posted on the AAA Google Calendar and the AAA Facebook page. You can expect it to be canceled if the clouds are thick or if it’s raining. Let’s hope for clear skies!