We have telescopes equipped with special filters for viewing the Sun. You may bring your own equipment, but we insist on strict safety provisions due to the dangers of improperly filtered direct solar viewing. All devices used for direct solar viewing must be fitted with approved filters.
What is there to see on the Sun right now?
Chair: Marcelo Cabrera
2017 Observing Dates
Sundays – 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- East Side: Lexington Avenue No. 6 local to 77th Street. Walk to Fifth Avenue and 72th Street.
- West Side: Broadway-Seventh Avenue No. 1 local or No. 2 or 3 express, Eighth Avenue C local, or Sixth Avenue B local to 72nd Street. Take the M72 crosstown bus to Fifth Avenue or walk across the park.
- From Downtown: M1, M2, M3, and M4 buses go along Madison Avenue. Get off at 72nd Street and walk west to Fifth Avenue.
- From Uptown: M1, M2, M3, and M4 buses run on Fifth Avenue to 72nd Street.
- Crosstown: Take the M72 bus to Fifth Avenue.
Walking from 72th Street and Fifth Avenue:
- Enter the park and follow Terrace Dr to the middle of Central Park, you will be at the top of the stairs in Bethesda Terrace. Look for people with telescopes near the fountain.