The AAA hosts solar observing in Central Park one Sunday afternoon each month. We’re located right by Conservatory Water, also known as the “model boat pond”. That’s where model boats are floated and where people observe Pale Male and the celebrated family of red-tailed hawks who live right across Fifth Avenue. The closest entrances are on Fifth Avenue at 72nd and 76th streets. See the directions below.
We have telescopes equipped with special filters for viewing the Sun. You may bring your own equipment, but we insist on strict safety provisions due to the dangers of improperly filtered direct solar viewing. All devices used for direct solar viewing must be fitted with approved filters.
Expert solar astronomer and AAA board member Tom Haeberle leads our Solar Observing in Central Park. When you get to Conservatory Water, just look for Tom and his solar-filtered telescope. Enjoy!
What is there to see on the Sun right now?
Chair: Tom Haeberle
2015 Observing Dates
Sunday afternoons – 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
in June, July, and August, Solar Observing will be held on the High Line
Directions (bold numbers and X in parentheses refer to the map below):
- East Side: Lexington Avenue No. 6 local to 77th Street. Walk to Fifth Avenue and 76th Street (1).
- West Side: Broadway-Seventh Avenue No. 1 local or No. 2 or 3 express, Eighth Avenue C local, or Sixth Avenue B local to 72nd Street. Take the M72 crosstown bus to Fifth Avenue (4) or walk across the park.
- From Downtown: M1, M2, M3, and M4 buses go along Madison Avenue. Get off at 72nd Street and walk west to Fifth Avenue (4).
- From Uptown: M1, M2, M3, and M4 buses run on Fifth Avenue to 72nd Street (4).
- Crosstown: Take the M72 bus to Fifth Avenue (4).
Walking from 76th Street and Fifth Avenue (1):
- Enter the park and bear south (2, 3). Conservatory Water will soon come into view. Look for people with telescopes on the west side of the lake (X).
Walking from 72nd Street and Fifth Avenue (4):
- Enter the park on the north side of 72nd Street and head north (5) until you see Conservatory Water. Look for the people with telescopes (X).