You are hereAAA OBSERVING ON THE BROOKLYN HEIGHTS PROMENADE
AAA OBSERVING ON THE BROOKLYN HEIGHTS PROMENADE
The Amateur Astronomers Association hosts observing sessions one Wednesday night each month from April through September on the Brooklyn Heights Promenade at the end of Montague Street. It is convenient to many subway lines and is only one subway stop from Lower Manhattan.
The Promenade is a spectacular setting from which to view Earth and sky. It overlooks the East River, Upper New York Bay, and Lower Manhattan.
We encourage anyone wishing to bring a telescope or binoculars to do so.
Chairs: Ron McCullough and Richard Rosenberg
(Special observing session: 5 planets in the evening sky)
(Sunset 5:47 p.m. EST)
(Sunset 7:46 p.m. EDT)
(Sunset 8:20 p.m. EDT)
(Sunset 8:31 p.m. EDT)
(Sunset 8:18 p.m. EDT)
(Sunset 7:43 p.m. EDT)
(Sunset 6:57 p.m. EDT)
Directions to the Brooklyn Heights Promenade at the end of Montague Street (bold numbers in parentheses refer to the map below, on which the event location is marked as an X):
Car (note that it might be very difficult to find a parking spot):
- From Manhattan: Take the first exit off the Brooklyn Bridge. Make a left off the ramp. You are on Cadman Plaza West. Continue about 0.4 mile until you reach Montague Street. Make a left on Montague Street and look for a parking spot. The event is at the very end of Montague Street.
- From Brooklyn, Queens, or Staten Island: Take the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway to the Cadman Plaza exit and follow the same instructions as above.
- Take the No. 2 or 3 (Seventh Avenue express) to Clark Street (1). Walk straight along Clark Street to the promenade. Make a left and walk down to Montague Street.
- Take the No. 4 or 5 (Lexington Avenue express) to Borough Hall (2). Walk north on Court Street two blocks to Montague Street. Make a left on Montague and continue to the very end.
- Take the A express or C local (Eighth Avenue line) to High Street (3). Exit at the rear of the train (if coming from Manhattan) onto Cadman Plaza. Walk south to Clark Street, then make a right to the promenade and left on the promenade to Montague Street.
- Take the R (BMT line) to Court Street (4). This exits on Montague Street. Just walk toward the water (with the direction of the auto traffic).