You are hereAAA SOLAR OBSERVING IN CENTRAL PARK
AAA SOLAR OBSERVING IN CENTRAL PARK
The Amateur Astronomers Association hosts solar observing one Sunday afternoon each month in Central Park. We’re located right by Conservatory Water (to which many people refer as the “model boat pond”). That’s where model boats are floated and where people observe Pale Male and his celebrated family of red-tailed hawks who live right across Fifth Avenue. The closest entrances are on Fifth Avenue at 72nd and 76th streets. See the directions below.
AAA members will be present with telescopes specially filtered to view the Sun. You may bring your own equipment, but we insist on strict safety provisions due to the dangers of improperly filtered direct solar viewing. All devices used for direct solar viewing must be fitted with approved filters.
Highly expert solar astronomer Tom Haeberle, a Board Member of the Amateur Astronomers Association of New York, leads our solar observing at Conservatory Water. When you get to Conservatory Water, just look for Tom and his solar-filtered telescope. Enjoy!
What is there to see on the Sun right now?
Chair: Tom Haeberle
2013 Observing Dates
(Canceled if Cloudy)
Sunday Afternoon, Except as Noted
1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
|January 27||February 24||March 30 (Sat)|
|-||-||September 21 (Sat)|
|October 20||November 24||December 15
Directions (bold numbers and X in parentheses refer to the map below):
- On the East Side: Lexington Avenue No. 6 local to 77th Street. Walk to Fifth Avenue and 76th Street (1).
- On the West Side: Broadway-Seventh Avenue No. 1 local or No. 2 or 3 express, Eighth Avenue C local, or Sixth Avenue B local to 72nd Street. Take the M72 crosstown bus to Fifth Avenue (4) or walk across the park.
- From Downtown: M1, M2, M3, and M4 buses go along Madison Avenue. Get off at 72nd Street and walk west to Fifth Avenue (4).
- From Uptown: M1, M2, M3, and M4 buses run on Fifth Avenue to 72nd Street (4).
- Crosstown: Take the M72 bus to Fifth Avenue (4).
Walking from 76th Street and Fifth Avenue (1):
- Enter the park and bear south (2, 3). Conservatory Water will soon come into view. Look for people with telescopes on the west side of the lake (X).
Walking from 72nd Street and Fifth Avenue (4):
- Enter the park on the north side of 72nd Street and head north (5) until you see Conservatory Water. Look for the people with telescopes (X).